Overview of the school
Mayfield Grammar School, Gravesend
“A centre of excellence within the community and for the community”
Our school’s ethos and reputation is based upon sustained high levels of achievement and excellence within and beyond the classroom. The school was founded in 1914 and we regard ourselves as a dynamic school responding to the demands of living and working in modern Britain within a global environment.
We aim to instil in our students a sense of belonging with every individual feeling happy and supported to achieve their best and develop their talents.
We seek to develop the academic potential of every student through excellent teaching and learning opportunities alongside personalised support.
We aim for all students to leave our school equipped with the skills and qualifications to access the next stage of their educational journey whilst developing integrity and confidence in order to make a valued and positive contribution to society and the global environment.
We are proud of all our students, they are our best ambassadors.
Mayfield Grammar School aims:
- To promote an ambitious educational culture which strives for excellence for all.
- To offer a broad, balanced and challenging curriculum enabling all students to fulfil their academic potential.
- To stimulate intellectual curiosity, encourage independence and responsibility for their own learning.
- To develop confidence and resilience in all our students so that they acquire the skills needed for life-long learning.
- To foster and promote a sense of trust, respect for and tolerance of others within an inclusive school environment.
- To celebrate diversity within our school community.
- To encourage our students to make a positive contribution to the life of the school, wider community and to enhance their knowledge of global issues in order to become socially responsible global citizens.
School Ethos & Values
At Mayfield Grammar School, we recognise that enjoyment and passion are integral to a successful and happy school experience and offer many opportunities to form new friendships, gain new skills, follow and discover new interests, all of which aid future opportunities and employability.
We are fully committed to implementing the British Values of democracy, rule of law, individual liberty, respect and tolerance for other religions through our curriculum and in all areas of school life.
Our school motto is “per aspera ad astra” (through adversity to the stars). We aim to develop students who uphold and promote the school aims through the following school values:
Leadership: to develop creative and innovative ethical leaders.
Integrity: to act honestly and with social responsibility towards one another and the wider community.
Confidence: to be ambitious for the future and develop a strong sense of independence, self-belief and self-worth.
Respect: to be trustworthy, tolerant and respectful individuals.
Empathy: to be considerate and mindful of the needs of others and encourage the well-being of all members of the school community.
Resilience: to show courage and determination in order to solve problems, overcome challenges and face adversity.