Named for Captain Chadwick of the ship the Haparangi. The ship was adopted by the school via the British Ship Adoption Society in 1948 and was the second ship we adopted. It was a British cargo liner that sailed between Britain and New Zealand/ Australia. Captain Chadwick was in charge from 1951-1957 and took a great interest in the life of the school, for example, attending the speech day in 1953 and sponsoring an essay competition in 1956. A model of the Haparangi made by the crew from parts of the ship stood in the school entrance hall from 1951 until the 1990s.